Yes, I realise I’m about two months late, but I am going to use the old adage “better late than never” as my defence here.
Back in November 2012, I was absolutely delighted to receive an email (which I read on my phone, and I don’t know why that’s relevant at all) that stated my blog had received a Blog of the Year award in the category of Eye on the Arab World from none other than smoothsolidade. I am very honoured by her lovely words regarding my blog: “To all the voices that give life to the Arab world…thank you.” But what made me really appreciate this gesture was the fact that I knew I was being very remiss in keeping my blog updated, yet someone out there still took the time to look through it and found it worthy enough for a nomination. So I thank you for that, and I do apologise for only doing it now.
Right! Let’s get down to business. This award has certain rules that need to be adhered to, all of which are found here.
It is now my turn to say thank you to some of the bloggers out there who have really impressed me and touched me, be it with their writing or otherwise. With that in mind, I hereby pass this award to the following individuals:
1. Ahmed for his blog Leaf of Light – Ahmed is not only one of the most gifted writers I’ve had the true and rare pleasure of meeting, but he is also the most supportive little munchkin I know! His mind is a thing of wonder. I guarantee you, he will be a famous novelist one day, he’s already halfway there. You, more than anyone else I know, deserve this mention.
2. Farah for her blog Chipster – I know what you’re thinking, I’m being biased because she’s my sister. But no! Although this could be seen as a gesture of support so she remains committed to her blog, it is also her writing that I am truly commending here. Farah has a unique style of writing filled with her diverting sense of humour. Her posts are always very conversational, entertaining and relevant. She knows how to keep a reader reading, and isn’t that the key ingredient to writing?
3. Mohammad for his blog Sout El Horreya – One of the most sincere and good-natured people I know. He’s another very supportive and compassionate little gem in a sea of desensitized souls. More recently, I’ve found that he is also a really good writer! Some of the pieces on his blog are absolutely riveting. He writes with pure honesty, openness, and bluntness – all qualities I love. So, this is for you. Don’t stop writing!
4. Grandma for her blog Grandma Says.. – A cranky caregiver (and I say that with so much affection) who says it like it is! She is not afraid of giving you a good tell off if needed, giving superb advice and pretty much just stating her frank opinion on most topics out there. A new blogger, she is doing an exceptional job keeping me entertained. Grandma, I give you this Blog of the Year award (even though you only started blogging this year) as a token of my appreciation.
5. Finally, Pia for her blog Piaspurpose – Simply put, she has the rare ability of weaving words into such beautiful sentences.
That done, I just want to say that there are many amazing bloggers out there who deserve honourable mentions that I can’t possibly begin to name you all. I’d only forget someone. There’s always next year though…well, this year really…and hopefully I will have the opportunity to do this all over again.
I look forward to being introduced to many more new bloggers and to catching up with all those I already follow. Once again, thank you so much for this award, and I hope you all have a wonderful year ahead!